Who should attend?
- Camp is open to any high school or middle school/junior high percussionist.
- Non-percussionists are welcome, but the material requires a basic understanding of percussion technique.
Is equipment provided or should I bring my own?
- ALL STUDENTS should bring their own sticks, mallets, and a practice pad!
- Snares, tenors, basses, and cymbals should make every effort to bring their own instruments and harnesses.
- If this is logistically impossible, equipment can be provided by request. Email us at [email protected].
- Keyboard players should bring portable instruments if available, otherwise instruments will be provided at the seminar.
- Drum Set students should bring their own sticks, hi-hat stand, ride cymbals and stand, and drum seat.
Where are students housed?
MPS 2019 will be housed in MacKimmie Hall.
- Seminar students will be housed in a dormitory in the Southwest Residential Area of campus.
- Dorms consist mostly of double rooms, and a few triple rooms.
- Placement of students in rooms is based on age and gender.
- No student will be assigned a room to him/herself.
- There are NO co-ed rooms. Females are housed on one floor and males are housed on the remaining floors.
- Males are NOT permitted in females’ rooms and vice versa.
Are the dorms supervised?
- Generally, there are 20 staff members who live in the dorms with the Seminar students.
- This includes both Professional and TA Staff.
- The staff rooms are placed strategically on all floors of the dorm.
- Bed checks are done every night to ensure that all Seminar students are accounted for.
What is building security like?
- The dormitory is locked 24 hours a day.
- Seminar students will receive a swipe card that serves as their admittance pass to the dormitory.
- Please note: The swipe card also serves as each student’s meal ticket to the Dining Commons.
- No other camps at UMass are housed in or have access to our dorm.
Where are meals provided?
- All meals are provided for the Seminar students at the Berkshire Dining Commons.
- The cost of meals is included in the camp tuition.
- We recommend bringing some additional money for snacks and drinks from the vending machines (small bills, as there is nowhere to make change).
Snare sticks, books, and other Mobile Percussion Seminar products will be on sale at the Seminar.
Questions regarding Camp procedures, health and safety, documents and registration, or other student-related business should be directed to our Business Coordinator at [email protected].